Spruce up your outside space for your next summer party with some DIY twinkly twine lanterns. Here’s what you need to make them:
- Twine or yarn
- White glue
- Warm water
- Petroleum jelly
- Clear spray paint (make sure it’s fast-drying!)
- Garland lights of some kind
- Depending on the size that you would like your lanterns to be, blow up your balloons accordingly.
- Lay down a dropcloth or some other protective layer.
- Mix the white glue, cornstarch, and warm water to form the adhesive mixture.
- Cover the balloons with petroleum jelly.
- Submerge the twine to be used in the glue mixture.
- Wrap the twine or yarn mixture around the prepared balloons, making sure to change directions as you wrap.
- Suspend the balloons from a shower curtain rod or other space to hang from in your house and allow them to dry for 24 hours.
- As soon as the balloons covered in the twine dry, pop the balloons on the inside and discard the balloons.
- Spray them with the clear spray paint.
- Feed the garland lights through the balls, and hang them up for all your party guests to see.
This is such a fun craft that will yield amazingly simple but beautiful results. Enjoy!