I love Valentine’s Day, yes I’m one of those people. I love it and I’m not ashamed to love it.
I love the pink and red flowers, frilly cards with hearts and drippy love poems, the romance and lovey-dovey of it all. I still loved it when my husband deployed on Valentine’s Day (yes, he left Feb. 14!) and last year when he was also overseas. I bought myself dinner and chocolates, he sent flowers and a card, we Skype’d and we made the best of it. I realize some think it’s pointless and even loathe it, but I look at it as a chance to carve a little time out just to appreciate the love. Of course, my husband and I love each other every day, but we also have a million things going on; work, school, and family.
Valentine’s Day is my excuse to say STOP, today is about us! We take a break from life and enjoy each other. Perhaps we’ll go out to dinner or we may help each other make a nice dinner at home, the point is to relax and reaffirm what we already know but get too busy to show all the time.
I may not be able to change every naysayer’s mind about this day but these are MY 10 reasons I love Valentine’s Day…
- Red and pink flowers are the absolute prettiest!
- You don’t need an excuse to be ridiculously cheesy on this day.
- A holiday about love, what can get better than that?!
- Chocolate. Need I say more?
- Even if you don’t have a partner, it is a wonderful time to remember those you love in your life, and show them!
- Conversation hearts are fun to read and give out.
- Embarrassing your spouse or loved ones with public displays of affection is always a bonus.
- Discounted chocolate the day after… bonus!
- Anything heart-shaped makes me smile.
- A bright and happy holiday to add some love on these long, cold and dreary winter days.
Day to day life can be hectic, especially for military families, so let’s take time out on this day and use it as an opportunity to celebrate love. Whether you buy something, make something, send it long distance or in person – enjoy the day and just LOVE each other.
Happy Valentine’s Day!