“To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
Who doesn’t want to be loved? The problem is, we forget to love ourselves.
As a military spouse, being alone can be really difficult, and it happens more often than not throughout the year. During our time as a military family, my husband has been gone more than he has been home during various holidays. I have learned how to celebrate holidays without the typical romantic date night with my husband. I have also worked on ensuring I take care of myself, love myself during those times that are most hectic, during separations.
Do you forget yourself? When was the last time you did something just for you and showed yourself some love? We expect our spouses to show us affection, but you also have to find ways to love yourself all year round. Especially during those moments when life gets rough. Here are five ways to celebrate YOU, any day of the year.
- Overcome negativity: It can be difficult for many to let go of negativity about themselves. These negative thoughts often come from outside people whose opinion we value and from whom we seek to love and accept. Take time to value yourself for who you are as a person, not how you look or what others think of you. And be sure to stay away from negative people, that can truly bring you down.
- Plan for a nice dinner: Going out by yourself isn’t ideal and it isn’t always possible when you have small children and your husband is away. But it surely does not mean you can’t have a nice dinner. You can cook yourself, or you can order take out from your favorite place. Spoil yourself a little and enjoy a good meal, even if you are the only one eating it.
- Buy yourself chocolate and flowers: Who says you can’t buy chocolate and flowers for yourself? Do it. Find a nice box of chocolates and pick out some pretty flowers. It is proven that chocolate is a natural stress reliever, the smell and taste can knock the funk out of anyone! Flowers can also help any mood by being aesthetically pleasing.
- Get together with friends: Are some of your other friends without their spouse too? Plan to go out, or stay in and rent a movie. Connect with your friends and make some memories together. It is hard to stay sad and missing your spouse when you are spending quality time with your friends.
- Plan a low-key day: Make things simple, figure out how to spend some time with a good book or a new movie. Relax, you might not have anyone in the house who will spoil you, so go ahead and spoil yourself. Sometimes doing nothing is exactly the kind of break you need for yourself.