Guest Post By: Fashion Blogger, Carrie Leaders
Hello again, I’m so happy to be writing another fashion column for the Homefront United Network! This time, I have brought some of my favorite style tips from my best girlfriends. Be sure to check back often to get the latest and greatest!
When I asked my girlfriends what their advice would be, many of them offered up the same tip; invest in quality pieces. When I say “invest”, I don’t necessarily mean spending hundreds of dollars on a shirt, but I do recommend saving a little so you don’t have to cut corners and sacrifice quality. Some of my favorite places to search for these more expensive pieces are Nordstrom Rack and TJ Maxx. They may be from “last season”, but classic pieces never go out of style so it really doesn’t make a difference. Don’t be afraid of secondhand stores either; sometimes Goodwill has amazing hidden gems, you just have to dig a bit more for them.
To save money, shop in opposite seasons. This means coat shopping in June and swimsuit shopping in September. That is when the markdowns happen and when you’ll find the best deals. Here are five pieces you should start saving for now:
Investment Pieces for Your Wardrobe:
1. A great pair of jeans. This is where Nordstrom Rack or TJ Maxx would come in handy. I once found a pair of 7 For All Mankind jeans on CLEARANCE for $7! Those babies usually retail for well over $100! Rag & Bone and Citizens of Humanity brands are also high quality. I recommend dark denim that can be dressed up or down, but the choice is really yours. Stay away from distressed or embellished denim. Stick with clean lines and a good fit.
2. A good bra. Seriously ladies, go get fitted. Go to a department store and ask the nice old lady in the lingerie department to measure you. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to chain lingerie stores and have been put in yet another poorly fitted bra. Also, remember to hand wash your delicates, as it will help them stay “in shape” for a long time. Nordstrom has a fantastic lingerie department. No photos are needed here since you know what style works best for your body, but utilize the ladies with the measuring tape. That’s what they are there for!
3. A quality coat. A polished, feminine trench or pea coat goes a long way. You could be wearing your dirtiest t-shirt, but if you throw on a structured coat, you instantly look like a million bucks! Since I live in the frozen tundra, a pea coat is a better option for me since it’s warmer, but in warmer climates you can get away with a lightweight trench coat. Look for styles in black, navy, or camel. Michael Kors makes the best trenches, and you can get an awesome deal on those at Macy’s during the off-season!
4. A sexy pair of heels. If heels aren’t in your everyday rotation, that’s ok. I PROMISE there will come a day where you will need to wear them. My mom had the same pair of black heels for years because they were QUALITY leather and lasted forever. Look back in history and you’ll see that the black pump has been around for ages. You can always find designer heels for a fraction of the price at TJMaxx or Marshalls. With heels, you can’t go wrong with patent leather black, but you can also go with nude or even snakeskin or leopard (trust me, it’s a classic) if you want something a little more fun.
5. A crisp button down shirt. I recommend splurging on a couple of these in a few different colors, and maybe even one with a pattern on it. I love the look of these when paired under a sweater or with a cute graphic tee underneath. They’re also great on their own and can easily be spruced up with a statement necklace or even a strand of pearls. Express has a plethora of these types of shirts and they come in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Look for polka dots or classic stripes, and be sure to buy yourself a white one!
So there you have it! Five staple items that should be added to your wardrobe ASAP!
Thanks for reading, and don’t forget to follow me on Instagram under the handle, @wildflowersandmerlot!