My dad once said, “You will always find bread, tomatoes and olive oil in a Spanish kitchen. Without those three ingredients, its as if your kitchen doesn’t exist!”
Another typical, and super, easy “meal” in Spain is “pan con tomate” (bread with tomato). Its quick, simple and your taste buds go wild at the taste of bread, tomato and olive oil all together. You can eat this in the morning with an omelet on top or for lunch by itself or with some jamón serrano for an easy dinner meal.
– baguette or rustic bread
– 2 large tomatoes (the redder, the better)
– 2 garlic cloves
– extra virgin olive oil
– a pinch of salt
– Slice the bread however you want; I normally slice it hallways so that the bread opens. Basically you want the inside out.
– Peel the garlic clove and rub one clove all over one of the “halved” loaves and repeat with the other half.
– Cut the tomatoes in half and, with all your might, and rub it onto the bread until you are left with the skin. Repeat with the other half.
– Drizzle the oil on the both loafs and sprinkle salt.