(taken and adapted from Real Simple)
- 1lb of beef stew meat
- 1 cup of flour
- Olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced (2 cups)
- 1 can tomato paste (6oz can)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 pound baby carrots (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Coat the beef in the flour (if you have a large ziplock bag, add the meat and flour and shake…easier way of coating). Heat a little bit of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time, adding more oil as necessary. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until tender/transparent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and coat the onions; transfer to the slow cooker.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits; add to the slow cooker. Stir into slow cooker the potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 1/2 hours, or on high for 4 hours.